Saturday, July 25, 2009

...mOrE pIcTuReS aS pRoMiSed :)

How is Everyone's weekend so far???
We are yet again, getting more rain, more rain and MORE RAIN :'(
It seems that is what this Summer is all about. I think the Sun took it's vacation and forgot to come back...LOL. We get very lucky and have one OR maybe two nice days and then rain for 4 or 5 days. I am praying for a much nicer August. No more rain...PLEASE!

As promised, more yummy pictures from when we visited the Acadian Village :)
I tell ya, this place was to die for! I so want to go back next year so I will be able to take my time in each house and take everything in.

Here is what was once a one room school that taught children from Grade's 1 to Grade 8. My father told me many stories about attending one room schools. Amazing how the Teacher had to teach so many different things for all grade levels. This was the entrance to the old School House. Abby could not wait to enter to see what the school looked like.
And here she is, happily sitting at one of the desks :) She was very puzzled to as why and how did the children write on slate. Notice the pile of wood in the back corner that was used to heat the school in the Winter months.
And here you see Mike and Abby eagerly heading to church...
They decided to have a quick prayer :)
This Church was so beautiful! I fell in love the pews!!! And check out this chandelier...WOW!!!
We were now leaving the 1700-1800 section of the Village and getting ready to enter the 1900's. We needed to cross the bridge to enter the new section that was added this year...
This was so AMAZING! I just had to snap a picture of the sign...
And you know these laws really did exist. Here in Grand Falls (where I live), they use to have a bridge quite similar BUT the law was 'No riding horses across the bridge!' You had to walk your horse or you would be fined $10 or $20.

I thought this was really neat how the cribs started changing into the new decade BUT yet still quite tiny.
And here from a distance, you will find the actual Motel that existed back in the day. And you are able to stay the night here if you wish. I would so love to spend the night, I am sure I would NOT get a good night sleep but what a experience it would be. They offer meals in the restaurant that would of been served back in the early 1900's. Not sure if I would enjoy the meal either but it would only be one day of my life, RIGHT? It would be just a thrill for the experience :)
Here was a train station that was not up and running quite yet since this section of the Village was only added late this Spring. But oh WOW...love the colors of the building!
Here is what a gas station would of looked like once cars were first introduced. You can see the sign on top called 'Irving Oil Products'. Irving Oil is a very large and rich company here in the Maritimes, Canada.
...and check out this car! I thought of my Grandmother right away. I thought oh how she would have so many stories to tell. How this would bring back so many memories for her. To bad the Village is so far from home and it requires so much walking because I would love to bring my 97 year old Grandmother and listen to her stories and how she could relate to this lifestyle.
This store was closed with a sign in the window saying due to Inventory. I would have loved to enter, just to see the items.

This house here was much richer compared to when we were exploring the homes in the 1700-1800's.
It had this actual phone that really worked!
And electricity but ONLY for lights. It was so cute because the women worked there all day long and she had homemade molasses cookies all ready to serve to the public. She offered one to Abby, but she declined because she prefers fruit and veggies over cookies. I know, what a weird child...LOL. No child passes up cookies but mine does...LOL.

Check out how the fireplaces changed! To be honest, I much preferred the fireplace from my previous post. Actually, I preferred the look of the homes from the 1700 and 1800's. But it was still so fun to see how the homes, furniture and style changed over the years :) Even the way the men, ladies and children dressed changed quite dramatically.
And this was really neat...back then all the sidewalks were made from wood. I am not sure if in the States they did the same BUT here in New Brunswick and Quebec this is how they were made with dirt roads.
Here was yet another store that we did not get a chance to enter. I wanted to soooo bad but when I looked at my watch, it was 1:30 and we had to be in the other town to pick Tabitha up for 2:00. We had a half hour drive ahead of us and it took another 10 minutes to walk back to the main building so we could leave this small but wonderful Village.
So trust you me, we kicked our butts in high gear and that is how I ended up with MAJOR blisters under my feet...LOL

I had to snap one more picture of this beautiful home. I wanted to enter it so bad but knew we had NO time at all. So this is why I really...really need to go back next year. Because we also skipped homes in the older section of the Village.
I LOVED my visit here so much! It was my high point of our mini-vacation.

As we headed out of this small but yet wonderful village, we needed to cross over a bridge because Shippagan, where Tabitha was, was located on a small Island just off the coast of New Brunswick. It was so cloudy out that day, we were sure it was going to rain but we were so lucky not to get one drop for the whole day. This was our view all the way down to Moncton, another 3 1/2 hours of driving before we hit our destination for the next three days.
We made it to Moncton by 7pm. Hubby and I were soooo exhausted from driving for 7 hours that day. The kids were wound for sound, so we took them down to the pool that was located in our Motel for the evening. We were hoping to tire them out and it worked :)

For the next three days, they were spent as full but fun days. I will post more later this week. But before I sign off, I have to share with you my new display I made earlier this week that I was saying I needed to add a cloth or penny rug. Now it looks much better :))))
I had this penny rug put away because I was burning a candle one day and the wax fell out of the dish ALL over my penny rug. I wanted to cry because have you ever tried removing wax from wool??? Impossible!!! But then I had a friend who told me to put a rag over the wool and use a hot iron, it will come off and go on the rag. So I thought what do I have to loose? I tried it AND to my amazement IT WORKED!!! Now you can't see it and would never know where the wax was.
Well my Friends, I must run for now. We have company arriving from Toronto for Supper. We have the next couple of days quite full from visiting family from all over. I am so looking forward to it. So I wish you all a pleasant and wonderful rest of the weekend!

Until next time...

11 comments:

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

I hope you do get to go back so we can see more of the older buildings right along with you!

Your display looks great Sandy. Enjoy all your visitors!

hugs, Linda

Gayle said...

Thanks for the 'wax on wool' solution. Now I just hope I can still remember it if that ever happens to me!

Wendy/TheCozyYellowHouse said...

I am loving your tour....I so too would want to return to see more!!:0) I love your new arrangment to the penny rug is perfect!!! Hope your having a wonderful weekend and that you get some sun!!!~Wendy

My Colonial Home said...

Hi Sandy - thanks for this wonderful journey back in time.....our most favorite vacations were going to living history museums like this one. What fun.

Love your new arrangement!
Thanks for the tip on getting wax out!

Karen

Valley Primitives Gift Shoppe said...

Sandy,
I enjoyed your post! That looks like a wonderful place to visit!!
Kim

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Julie, first of all thank you for your kind words on my blog. You are such a dear friend. :)

Your outing looked like so much fun! I loved looking at all the prim stuff. I bet you wanted to bag some of that up. LOL

And look you found a pop box! It looks great in your prim display!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sandy! This looks like so much fun! I love to see all the older buildings, especially inside!

Thank you for your sweet comment!

About me selling on ebay, my selling name is cts24sas. Thanks for your interest!

Have a great week!

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Sandy, Thanks for the great tour. It is always so much fun to go back in time. The tip about the wax on wool is going in my little book.
♥, Susan

Carmen and the Primcats said...

Your mini vaca looked like so much fun! Love the little village!!! Neat!

nancy huggins said...

Now that was a good post and told a story..I wish I could get my posts to turn out good when I add pictures. I will be having a give away in my blog soon in honor of starting my new web site..Drop by when you get a chance and leave me a comment to let me know you were there.
Awesome blog!!!!!

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Sandy, I would adore taking a trip like this! I had to smile at your photo's inside the church. A true blogger and Prim lover to note all the beautiful OLD things!
I am a bit new to the Prim world..and I love it!