Saturday, April 5, 2008

The beginnings of my first penny rug...HELP!

I started the project of my very fist penny rug and WOW! It is looking great BUT now I am stumped! I am now asking for help to anyone out in blog land that knows how to do this. For the life of me I can not figure out how to do all the stitching around my little circles and bunny.

According to the instructions once I have everything attached to the black felt I then need to do a blanket stitch. But when I begin my stitching it just does not work. What am I doing wrong? Please help me someone!!!

6 comments:

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Sorry I can't help...you have a great start though! I want to learn how to do penny rugs too!

bluejeanprimitives said...

What a cute pattern!

Blanket stitching takes a little practice at first and then you just get better at it. Maybe take a few circles and stitch them onto something else before you begin this project? Just remember the most important thing... "There are no rules". It's going to come out gorgeous!

Jean :)

Sandy said...

I know how to do the blanket stitch but on a project like this I just couldn't figure it out so I started with just a regular stitch. I think that it will still turn out just fine. I am liking how I am doing it already. Once I have completed it, I will post the finished work. I received this Penny Rug pattern free from "The Primitive Pear". It is so cute.
I also wanted to let you know Jean that your Penny Rugs are beautiful!

Heidi said...

I can help you. Don't attach it to the black yet. First, start with your smallest pennies. Blanket stitch them to the next size penny. When you have the three layers of pennies together then you stitch the largest to the black background. This all makes it easier to blanket stitch as you do it in layers. Now for the bunny do the same. Do the little hearts first and then attach the largest heart to the bunny after which you attach the bunny to the background again with blanket stitch. I had used fusible web to attach it all on my first penny rug as that is how they tell you but I know longer do that as it is not necessary at all. Lets face it, they did not have fusible webbing when penny rugs were invented. :)

Have fun and thanks for entering my give~away. I hope you will stop by often and leave a comment.

Hugs ~
Heidi

Debbi said...

Love how it looks, can't wait to see it all done

Anonymous said...

AAAH, I think it is sweet as is...hahahaha, I know tha is not what you are going for!!! Sure is cute though...Hugs, MO