Monday, October 6, 2008

CaRvInGs MaDe By FaThEr In-LaW

Sorry it has been awhile since I last posted.

We have been so busy working around the house and having suppers with friends that I have not had a chance to post a blog and to be honest I haven't read very many blogs either. I need to get caught up on my reading and postings. I am fast approaching my 100th post and have something planned. So be sure to stayed tuned as I get closer.

The girls did not have school today, so I spent the day putting paper work in order, made a really good supper, cleaned, laundry and all the other fun things that come along to running a house. Then I had to car pool and take Tab and her friend over to their Adiago Choir. And now it looks as if I have two little girls coming down with a really bad cold. I pray I do not catch it since I have my infusion this coming Friday.
I can not afford to get sick from now to then.

I also just wanted to let you ladies know since I may not have expressed myself properly...hubby has not got the new job yet :( He meets with one of the reps on the 24th of this month and the rep said it was good news. So we are praying and praying that hubby does get this new job. IF he gets it, he will only start around Jan. BUT I want to thank everyone for their wonderful comments. They are greatly appreciated but I will ask that you all pray for us. We are really hoping and praying alot because this new job would be just what we need.

Today I thought I would share the wonderful crafting that my Father In-Law does. He is one of the best carvers that I have ever met. I just love his work and appreciate every piece that I get as a gift.

This piece was stashed away in his workshop full of dust. I thought it was such a shame so I brought it home cleaned it up and displayed it in Abby's room. When Abby was a baby, her room was decorated as Classic Winnie the Pooh. It fit so perfectly but it is such a great piece that I continue to display proudly. The bears are so detailed...

This piece is of a box with carvings on both ends. I received this one year for Christmas and was so very excited. It is now in Abby's room holding puzzles and what not. This was one of my first carvings that I began receiving a few years back. Danny made quite a few these for other gifts.This was Tabitha's very first carving that she received from her Pepere. On the back of the bear her name is carved in. He is just to cute...This carving was inherited when the In-Laws did some remodeling. Of course there were many others who wanted to steal it but we were very lucky to get it. I love all the detail that he put into it.Hubby begged his Dad for this one. Notice the different color tones...Mike asked his father to make the back end now...This one is full of detail. It's amazing how someone can carve something out of a block of wood and make something so WOW!I claimed this one. This was his first statue that he made and since I have native in my ancestry I was so drawn to this it. I think someday I just may inherite this one and trust me I will give it a home. It's beautiful and again so detailed from top to bottom...But now I have a problem because this is Danny's latest carving and I want it also :))) It is full of detail and represents what my Grandfather did for a living. You have to enlarge the picture just to see the detail. The horse pulled the roots of the tree out of the ground and he even carved the ground with the roots pulled up. He even has little branches around the horse. I am big on history and I was also so very close to my grandfather that I feel so attached to this piece. I might have to let go of my Indian statue to get this one...Of course there are so many more. As gifts I have also received bird houses, Santa Faces, Birds and the list could go on. I will have to when the time comes post a picture of the Santa Face that I received three years ago for Christmas. He painted it and primed it all up for me. It is about 2 1/2 to 3 feet long. So I will make sure once I have all my Christmas decorations taken out to snap a picture of it along with the tree ornatments that he also made for me.

I want to thank you for coming along for view of my Father In-Laws wonderful past time.

Tomorrow I will post a couple of projects that I finished up over the weekend.

So until tomorrow,
Sandy

13 comments:

Something Nice and Pretty said...

How beautiful Sandy! I can't imagine the work and time that have went into each piece, you are so lucky to have these in your home. I just can't wait to see the Santa he did for you:)
Rondell

Julie said...

AMAZING!! What a gift he has--how wonderful that he shares and gives his pieces away. I'm sure they take him hours and hours. That was a very interesting post. Julie

Anonymous said...

Sandy- your FIL is very talented!wow love the what not box. fingers crossed for your Dh to get the job! Looking forward to seeing your projects.

Sue said...

What talent he has! I can't imagine how someone can do all that detail...I know these pieces are special to you. I pray the job comes through for your husband.

Yankee Ridge Primitives said...

WOW, what a talented man!
My hubby would LOVE the Indian!

Im praying for ya all that the job comes through:)

Unknown said...

What beautiful carvings!! Your FIL is so gifted!! Thanks for stopping by my blog...I hear ya, there's just not enough time in the day..I've been bad at reading others' blogs, too :o)!

Fingers crossed for your hubby!!

Anonymous said...

OMGosh! How blessed to be the reciever of such wonderful gifts! He is a very talented man! I truly loved looking at his work!

Anonymous said...

I was so blown away about the wood carvings that I forgot to tell you that I am praying for your hubby to get the job! :)

Back in the Day said...

Sandy, your father in law does amazing work! He is very talented and I think it is great that you display his work so proudly!

Birgit said...

Oh my goodness, they're beautiful! Your father in law does incredible work. What a gift he has for carving. Those are amazing heirlooms that I'm sure you're so thankful to have. I'm so glad you felt inspired to share them on your blog. Hugs~ Birgit

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

Your FIL must be a very patient man, Sandy. He does beautiful work...

Stay well, my friend!

JenW!~ said...

OH WOW! Those are wonderful carvings. I'd be thrilled to have some carvings like that in my home. Your ar one lucky lady to be on the receiving end of such great talent.

Anonymous said...

What great carvings! I love the indians! What talent to be able to do something like that!